Wednesday, August 1, 2012

San Antonio 2012

July was absolutely crazy busy for us. I apologize for the delay of posts...hopefully I can catch up and stay on top of things now. I'll get you a little up to speed in this post. :)

Each summer, Texas Bandmaster Association (TBA) has a convention each July. It's nearly a tradition in my family to go...and now that I'm married to a band director, the tradition continues. This year was different though. We weren't planning to go, until we heard that Daddy was being given an extremely high honor, which would take place at this convention. We learned about the award in February (at the winter convention - TMEA), and it was fun to hear the importance of this achievement. As we realized the significance, it became evident that ALL of us McDonald 'kids' needed and wanted to be there to support Daddy on his special day. The Lord worked it out in a mighty way allowing each of us 'kids', our spouses, children (present and few on the way), aunts, uncle, and a couple extra special family members to meet for dinner prior to the ceremony, then go together to the ceremony, concert & reception. We met at a restaurant on the Riverwalk called Casa Rio. Let me add that it was quite hot...and quite the wait, but definitely worth it.
The Cousins! We also found out the day before, that Caleb & Becky will be having 2 precious little boys! Yay!! Boys to balance out these girls. Be praying for Hudson & Peter!

 Waiting for our tables/private room...and for Caleb, Becky & Boys, Aunt Cindy & Uncle Steve
(Picture thanks goes to Ruben)

Walking as a family to the Lila Cockell Theater/Convention Center


Annabel was SO helpful with Aspen!! At this point, they were watching a Phonics Song. 

The wait was over. Daddy was presented with the Meritorious Achievement Award around 7:20 p.m. Friday, July 20th. We are SO very, very proud of him. The Lord has blest his career abundantly, as he continually strove (and strives) to honor the Lord. I believe this award is second to being inducted into the the Band Directors Hall of Fame...which, I'm sure that hasn't happened for Daddy yet, simply because he's not old enough. ;D (*there was absolutely no partiality in that last sentence. :))

I was holding Aspen when Daddy walked onto the stage, and when she realized it was her PawPaw, she said, very loudly, 'PAW PAW!!!!!!!!!' We were in the balcony, very far away, and Daddy couldn't hear her, but I think everyone in the balcony did.


Did I mention the award ceremony was followed by a 2 hour concert of The President's Own Marine Band!? :) I was only able to stay long enough for the Star Spangled Banner. Aspen wasn't too impressed. We spent the rest of the time wandering around the Convention Center.


After the intermission, Brian & Alyssa came out, joining Annabel, Aspen, Rebekah and I. Rebekah & the girls went back in after awhile, and us Moreno's wandered around, in hopes of a little girl falling asleep. To no avail, I might add. Following the concert, around 10:30 p.m. there was a reception for all the individuals who received a reward that evening in the Lonesome Dove Room. It was a neat time of fellowship, sharing and listening to each persons testimony, and little speech. Daddy was towards the end, thus it was pushing 11:30 before it was his turn to share. I took pictures of all this on Mama's camera, but not mine.... Annabel & Alyssa curled up and feel asleep, and Brian very sweetly took Aspen out, and finally got to sleep. I feel SO bad though that he missed Daddy's speech!!! I should have had someone call him or go get him when Daddy was up, but I didn't. I'm sorry my Love! :.( Daddy did mention each of his 'kids'...I loved how he acknowledged the boys musical talents, and their families...when he got to me he said said I married Brian Moreno, the band director at Texas City High School. Yep!!! I sure did! :D That beats all my musical talent for sure!!!!!! :) So glad Daddy focused on that one. Above all, Daddy gave glory to God for the achievements made. 

This picture was taken during the Marine Band concert. You can see Brian at the top...Aspen had fun climb up to him, then running down to me. We were outside on the Riverwalk.

Saturday morning we checked out of our hotel, and Aspen helped Daddy pull our suitcase to the elevator.

After a busy morning playing with cousins, riding up & down escalators waiting for Daddy, walking through convention & exhibits, having lunch at Fuddruckers with Granny & PawPaw, it was finally time to head to the car and drive back to Houston. Poor Aspen was SOOO sleepy...we had to wait for the elevator in the parking garage, as we did, Brian started to sing a little to her. She put her forehead against his chin, and was out cold. 

How many of you saw Aspen's shirt in the very first picture? It's kinda hard to read, but it's obvious enough for me to have to say something too. This weekend was Aspen's big revelation to the McDonald family...Daddy even made it part of his speech that night. We're just now starting to share it with our close family friends, and thought we'd share it with you too now. 

Coming February 2012 

3 comments:

  1. :-) Congratulations! That's wonderful!!!

    ~Galena Berkompas

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you!! How far along?

    ReplyDelete