Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve

So, technically, it's Christmas day...but, considering the fact that I'm still up and my Christmas Eve plans aren't over yet, we're going to say it's Christmas Eve. I'm going to apologize in advance for how long winded this blog may be; it's late, I'm tired, there's alot spinning through my head, and I'm not able to go to bed yet, or do much else beside blog. So....here I am.

Today, a day looked forward to filled with all kinds of traditions. When Brian & I got married in '09, we started a little tradition of having Mom & Dad McDonald over for breakfast. It's been fun, and something looked forward to each year. There's a picture of our table before I finished setting it... And, then there's a picture of Aspen that Daddy took right before we ate. Breakfast was a fun sweet time. Memorable for sure, as I somehow knocked the entire Christmas tree over, in an attempt to get a present for Mom to take to her house for Christmas day. Thankfully, Brian caught the tree before it when crashing the the ground. Why it couldn't have been pulled over by the baby instead of me, I'll never know...but, we had a good laugh. And, Brian was reminded, once again, that, "everything always happens to me."


Our day did not unfold as we exactly desired, but, it was orchestrated by the Lord nonetheless, and we're thankful. Brian/Bear had that opportunity to go pick his brother Steve/Steev up from Katy right after Mom & Dad left. Steev is in town from CA for the week. This is his yearly trip, and we all look forward to fun family time all together. Aspen and I were busy running around doing last minute things...I should have made my Mac & cheese and Sweet Potato casserole, but put it off...(I was planning to be doing it now, but, the Lord planned otherwise.) Brian got home just in time for us to pack up and head to my Aunt Laura's house for The McDonald Christmas.

The McDonald Christmas is a extra special family time. We read the Bible story together, often have a share time, Gift exchange, and of course dinner & dessert. Not only were we celebrating our Savior's birth, but, we were always also celebrating my grandparents wedding anniversary. I think most of us in the McDonald Family semi dreaded today...the first official, tradition family time that neither Paw Paw or Grandma would be there. It wasn't fun getting to Aunt Laura's & not seeing PawPaw's car. Or, seeing him when you walk in the house.... It was hard. I didn't like it, not one bit. Daddy stood in PawPaw's stead & read the Christmas story from Luke 2. Aunt Laura, Aunt Cindy & Daddy gave each of us a Christmas envelope with money "from PawPaw" as he always did for us. This year it contained a poem instead of a hand signed Christmas Card. I haven't been able to read all my poem yet, as I was busy with Aspen, but each time I read a little I "bout lost it..." Ok, enough sad...moving on! We had to slip out early, but the food smelled delicious and the desserts looked incredible! We skyped my cousins who are out of the country, and it was extra fun to see my cousins who live in Alaska now! :D

We packed up, and headed to Galveston (in the rain) for the Moreno Christmas Eve party. Brian's family celebrates on the Eve instead of the actual day... Mom Moreno over did herself again. The food was yummy! Monster had smoked (I think) a turkey & sausage. There was rice & beans of course! And, homemade tamales. Mom and her siblings made 22 dozen tamales. We were there on Thursday when she cooked and deboned the hogs heads for them. :D We wanted to go help her like we did last year, but just couldn't. Anyway.... The party was fun, a little late in starting... Nearly everyone wanted to meet Aspen as I typically only get to see these family & friends on Christmas Eve or major events. Aspen was a trooper, but knocked out early around 8... Around 10:15 Mom began passing out gifts to everyone. It was fun sitting, watching the faces as the sisters exchanged gifts with each other, and then gave each of the nieces & nephews a little something. Even me!!! An In-law! :) I married into the best family, and not just because of the gifts! :) Aspen was showered with gifts!!! I was amazed. I think she only received 2 that don't require batteries. :D Lots of fun toys that Mommy really likes. They're all educational! Score!!! Yay!!!! :) Bear & I received snuggly, cozy blankets, pj's, dress shirts & ties, a beautiful Christmas platter, and something I think I'm forgetting. The main gift was just the love we all share, and being together. I'm just amazed by the huge blessing of family in my life. As a daughter-in-law, I don't expect to be treated the same as a daughter or "true family member", but the Moreno's have taken me in as their own, and I'm so honored. I am so very thankful for Mom & Dad Moreno in my life, and the love & family they give to me. (along with the rest of the Moreno clan! :))

Sadly, as soon as gifts were exchange we has to slip out. Bear & I wee disappointed because the best, most memorable family time, conversations, etc typically take place after the gift exchange. But, "we have to do what we have to do", and that "do" meant driving back to Clear Lake so Brian could play his trumpet for a Midnight Mass so our HOA bill coming up wouldn't hurt as bad, which is due next month. The original plan was for Aspen & I to be dropped off at home, but time didn't allow that. I drove from Galveston, Brian buzzed on his trumpet mouth piece trying to warm up his chops & Aspen either slept or played. Lol I was hoping to be able to enjoy hearing Brian play, but, that was short lived once The Brooks & I were seated... Lol She wanted to play & talk...forget sleep. We tried hanging out in the foyer, but, that didn't work. Thus, I drove around the neighborhood for at least 20 minutes, hoping it's put Aspen to sleep. Thankfully, it finally worked. That brings me to the present... Sitting, in the parking lot of a Catholic church, waiting for my husband to finish so we can go home & get some sleep before another fun day tomorrow, or later. It's now, 1:09 a.m. I think this mass goes until 1:30.... My phone is at 27%, and rain drops are falling from the tree branches above me. Are you bored yet? :p

I'm so tired, but, amidst that, I'm grateful. Grateful for my Lord, who made a WAY through a manger so I could be cleansed by His blood, the blood of THE Lamb. I've been amazed this season by the Lamb of Glory, and all the little but major detail of His birth, in Bethlehem... I'd share it all, but, I should save it.

Merry Christmas to all! And to all, Good Night! :) stay tuned for my Christmas blog! :)

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this, Meagen. I pray you have a very blessed day tomorrow (I mean today;)) celebrating our Savior's birth! Love you so much! It's now 1:28am...hope you get to go home soonly :)

    ReplyDelete