Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Escobar Gathering

In November, we had the privilege to go with our 'brother' Ruben to his family reunion. (Ruben and Brian have been bro's for some time, and I'm honored to now have Ruben as my brother too.) Amanda, his girlfriend who he is courting also went to the family gathering...technically, we went with them, not her with us. ;) And, Amanda, has been my 'big sister' for MANY years now...and is almost really my sister considering her sister did marry my brother Caleb; it's fun watching the Lord bring these two amazing people together! 

So, for a few years now I've heard how wonderful Mom Escobar's Menudo is. I had not ever had any menudo to speak of; Brian has been careful I tried it from a 'good' place for the first time, and every time considering it is not something you want to 'mess around with'. Thus, I wanted to try Mom Escobar's since I trusted her cooking, and had heard incredible things about it. We also were able to have Ruben's sisters gumbo, which was wonderful! There were other tasty things there too, and being a 'white' girl wanting to contribute to the meal, I took Mac & Cheese. (In case ya'll are wondering, it was all eaten...along with all of Mandy's delicious pumpkin pie!) The Menudo was very good...I enjoyed the hominy far more than the tripe, and the broth itself was very flavorful. Seeing that I am officially already into the Moreno family, and accepted by the Escobar's, (and pregnant,) I didn't feel the need to consume a whole bowl...or really more tripe than just as taste. I was super proud of Mandy though! She ate her whole little bowl with smile on her face...so sweet & in love! :D Three years ago, I would have done the same thing... Mom Escobar made me feel good though...she said when she was first married, she wouldn't eat the tripe, so she put and extra can of hominy in for herself...over the years, she developed the taste, but still likes extra hominy. Love Mom Escobar!!! 

The family reunion was such fun! There were door prizes, a cake walk, and lots of Bingo w/ prizes. Somehow the four of us were recruited to head up the first set of Bingo...  Fun memories. Thank you Ruben & Amanda for taking us along!!! We truly enjoyed the time spent with you and your sweet family!


Mandy Meeting Mom Escobar for the first time...isn't she so pretty?!


Just after 1st taste of Menudo


Yay!! Cleaned the bowl!




No comments:

Post a Comment