Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Yummy dinner & dessert

I meant to take more pictures tonight, but forgot or just flat out missed the opportunity....the ones I did get really aren't that great. :( But, I had the opportunity of hosting Mom & Dad Moreno tonight. I thought of it yesterday and wanted to have them for dinner, and was THRILLED when Brian's schedule & theirs worked out. We had pork roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, and homemade yeast rolls. :) I meant to get a picture of my plate, but didn't think if it until after I'd stirred my gravy into my potatoes...it just didn't look as pretty at that point. Aspen was a very big girl & at bananas & rice cereal while we ate our dinner. We had such a sweet time of fellowship together! Then, my parents joined us for dessert. Mom McDonald brought coffee to share too! I made a cherry cake w/ frosting. I think you could change the cherry to just about anything and it'd be yummy! My cousin posted it on her blog, and here it is, now on mine. Thank you Melody!!! :) Hope y'all are encouraged to make this  just like I was. If you make it, let me know what you think! 

Thank you both my Mom's & Dad's for coming tonight!!! It was so good having y'all over. Please come again!

Cherry Cake with Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting 

1 box white cake mix 
2 large eggs 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
1 teaspoon almond extract 
1 (21 oz) can homemade cherry pie filling (or canned), divided 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray or lightly grease 13 x 9 baking pan. 

Measure 1/3 cup of cherry pie filling and set aside to use in frosting. 

Mix together on medium speed, dry cake mix, eggs, baking powder, both extracts, and remaining cherry pie filling until well blended. 

Pour batter into pan, and level with a spatula. 

Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool completely in pan. Frost with cherry cream cheese frosting. 

Cherry Cream Cheese Frosting 

2 8-oz packages of cream cheese 
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter 
1/3 cup cherry pie filling 
2 - 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar 
1 teaspoon almond extract 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 

Soften the cream cheese and butter, but don't let it get warm, just take the chill off. Beat the cream cheese and butter together until creamy. Add in the cherry pie filling and extracts and beat for a minute or two until cherries are broken into small pieces. Slowly add the powdered sugar until completely combined and of spreading consistency. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.






Meagen

No comments:

Post a Comment